Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Forts"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- Forts are catalogued by state, province, or territory, in geographic progression, in a gazetteer format.
- Forts were also built in the older portions of New France that had not yet been settled.
- Forts were built all along the coast following a daring raid by the Dutch navy on the shipyards of the Medway towns in 1667.
- Forts were built above the port; lighthouses were constructed to guide ships; and one of the best-preserved Roman villas in Britain is here.
- Most forts were located on the banks of a river, or where two rivers met.
- Assyrian forts located in Median territory (Zagros Mtns) at the time of Esarhaddon's campaign (ca.
- Two of the forts were Fort Lockhart, (on the Samana Range of the Hindu Kush mountains), and Fort Gulistan (Sulaiman Range), situated a few miles apart.
- The dam also permitted Kronstadt and some of the forts to be reached without using a boat.
- The usurper understood that one line of forts along the Rhine was insufficient: if the Franks broke through, it was impossible to stop them.
- Eddisbury is the largest and most complex of the seven hill forts in the county of Cheshire.
- He defeated and captured the forts at Vellore and Jinji in modern day Tamilnadu.
- He defeated and captured the forts at Vellore and Gingee in modern-day Tamilnadu.
- These forts became known as the Palmerston Forts.
- Thus the Jat state of Badan Singh rose from the asses of Thoon, Jatauli and other forts.
- South of Wilmington, along the Cape Fear River's last 20 miles (30 km), a handful of Confederate forts and batteries protected the daily flow of ships.
- Any tourist can start his tour from Bangalore with its ancient forts, temples, gardens and shopping.
- It was strategically placed in the center of a string of forts of Rajgad, Purandar, and Torna.
- Rajgad 42 kms from Pune, Rajgad is truly the King of all forts.
- This turf wall ran 40 Roman miles (about 37.8 mi (60.8 km)) and had significantly more forts than Hadrian's Wall.
- It is the delight of the antiquarian and archaeologist, rich in Bronze Age tombs, ring forts, standing stones and early Christian monastic ruins.
- There are ancient forts, standing stones and cromlechs to explore as well as the famous Pembrokeshire blue stones.
- Ireland is home to a wealth of Neolithic and megalithic sites ranging from tombs like Newgrange to standing stones, dolmens and fairy forts.
- Fort Ohio was one of a chain of four forts protecting the frontier.
- The Palakkad Fort, situated in the heart of Palakkad town, is built of granite and one of the best-preserved forts in Kerala.
- In the United States usage, forts specifically refer to Army installations; Marine Corps installations are referred to as camp s.
- Fort Sellers was one of a chain of four forts protecting the frontier.
- He slowly started capturing forts in the region, Purandar, Rajgad, Torna being most notable of his first achievements.
- The news that Shivaji was capturing forts reached the Sultan of Bijapur.
- By the time we reach Hathersage, however, golden mist has become leaden fog and the dramatic panorama of crags and Iron Age hill forts is a grey blur.
- There are three forts in the territory formerly comprised in the erstwhile Patiala State which seem deserving of more than a mere passing mention.
- In response the British and French sent gunboats under the command of Admiral Sir Michael Seymour to capture the Taku forts near Tianjin in May 1858.
- They sailed to the mouth of the Hai River guarded by the Taku Forts near Tianjin and demanded to continue inland to Beijing.
- Get marveled at watching Bekal Fort in its full charm and glory - one of the magnificent forts of Kerala.
- During that time he appeared at several forts, presenting the pass given to him by Armistead, and demanding food and liquor.
- The remains of several forts still stand among the mountain tops of Taif overlooking the villages.
- Shivaji had still maintained a small force and several forts.
- From Attock to the Khyber Pass series of small forts were built under Hari singh Nalua to keep Afghanis in check.
- History of Ireland for a fuller treatment of this period include clochans, ringforts and promontory forts.
- Its early archaeological remains include a court-tomb at Lecarrow, ancient cooking-sites, standing-stones, promontory forts and other sites from later times.
- Roman forts and hill forts were the main antecedents of castles in Europe, which emerged in the 9th century in Carolingian France.
- It has exerted its best efforts to organize revolutionary order in the city, the fortress and the forts.
- Also he renovated the tanks, lakes and forts damaged by Hyder Ali, restoring law and order.
- He rebuilt forts, thereby protecting Egyptians living and working in Nubia.
- Military officers explored new territory, built forts, and participated in diplomacy, trade, and warfare with the indigenous peoples.
- Beginning around 800 BC, the region became contested ground between Urartu, who built several forts on the territory of Mannae, and Assyria.
- First the rebel allies captured two Roman forts in their territory, and a cohort of Tungri defected to Civilis.
- Hosdurg Fort (half a kilometre south of Kanhangad) is renowned for its chain of forts built by Somashekara Nayak of Keladi Nayaka dynasty of Ikkeri.
- To save France from invasion of England the king of France built forts and controlled the people who were quick to revolt.
- Nowadays, the construction of the Saint Petersburg Dam has led to some of the forts being demolished.
- As the chief engineer of the army he commanded the construction of several forts and fortified military camps along the Canadian border.
- It was in the guise of defense for their forts that they were able to establish large forces in India.
- They failed to subdue the Moros who were periodically attacking their forts.
- Three forts were constructed to protect its ancestors against the attacks of "" Moros"" which were prevalent during the 15th to 18th centuries.
- First, groups of traders and Cossacks began to enter the area, and then the Russian army began to set up forts further and further east.
- In a state as large as Attica, forts in the outlying regions were needed as surrogates for the fortified urban center.
- It was not, in other words, part of the routine defensive establishment of Attica represented by the garrison forts.
- During the winter the Athenians also sent for more money and cavalry, while the Syracusans built some forts, and a wall extending the territory of the city.
- The remains of these forts are therefore primary evidence in the process of recovering the defensive priorities and activities of the Athenians.
- The Pandavas rebuilt the ruined city and erected palaces and forts and renamed it Indraprastha.
- Shah Jahan also built or renovated forts in Delhi and in Agra.
- However, it apparently was also used ashore as a garrison flag on forts and other installations.
- Building forts with your siblings as a child, as we both did, evolves readily into making installations and performances.
- Edward, and his brother-in-law Æthelred of (what was left of) Mercia, began a programme of expansion, building forts and towns on an Alfredian model.
- Many forts, located centrally in densely populated areas, were permanently settled strongholds and can show traces of settlements both inside and outside.
- Indian war parties raided farms and settlements, and families fled to forts, large towns, or out of the territory altogether.
- Larger, but not large, settlements existed around royal forts, such as at Burghead, or associated with religious foundations.
- A Portuguese architect Thomas Fernandez is credited with the construction of forts, warehouses and bungalows at Kochi, Kozhikode and Kannur.
- The Gask Ridge consisted of a series of forts and fortlets with signalling towers.
- He built a series of forts on the shores of Lake Biwa to defend his holdings from Nobunaga's former retainers; Shizugatake was the site of one such fortress.
- In 1753, the French started the military occupation of the Ohio Country by building a series of forts.
- It was built by Haider Ali in 1766 and one of the best preserved forts in Kerala.
- Time > History > Greeks > Romans
- Golden Triangle Tour > India > Shivaji
- Architecture > Home > Houses > Palaces
* Arabian Sea
* Bekal Fort
* Belgian City
* Blue Ensign
* Chinese Government
* Deal Castle
* George Washington
* Hari Singh Nalwa
* Hill Forts
* Historic Site
* Iron Age
* Konkan Coast
* Military Installations
* Nearby Hills
* Roman Road
* Roman Roads
* Shivaji Maharaj
* Spanish Ships
* Town Houses
* Trading Posts
* Union Jack
Books about "Forts" in