Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Glossary of Buddhists"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- Buddhists are encouraged to do good deeds not for the sake of gaining a place in heaven.
- Buddhists are everyday people.
- Buddhists are few in number, and their energies are necessarily fully occupied with learning and teaching.
- Buddhists are human.
- Buddhists are increasingly active in many further countries of Europe.
- Buddhadasa is one of the most important reformers in the history of Theravada Buddhism in Thailand.
- The name "Buddhadasa" (literally meaning "servant of Buddha") sounds unconventional and rather provoking - then as now.
- Buddhaghosa was also the author of the Visuddhimagga, or Path of Purification, which is a manual of doctrine and practice according to the Theravada school.
- Buddhaghosa: the budding intellectual became well learned in Dhamma and Vinaya under Mahasthavira Revata.
- Ajahn Brahm is a very good teacher and his humorous dialogue provided the fun factor in the class.
- Ajahn Brahm is a witty and humourous speaker with great insights and wisdom.
- Ajahn Brahm was ordained in Bangkok at the age of twenty-three by the Abbot of Wat Saket.
- Ajahn Khemadhammo is a is a teacher of Theravada Buddhism, he was a student of Ajahn Chah at Wat Nong Pah Pong.
- Alice Walker is a novelist and author of The Color Purple.
- Alice Walker is the acclaimed author of The Color Purple and other novels.
- Alice Walker was playing outdoors with her brothers.
- Alice Walker: For me, it is also not having my love and faith in the earth itself broken.
- Alice Walker: To bring it into yourself.
- Allen Ginsberg is a fine narrator at first but his wacky, happy reading becomes tiring.
- Allen Ginsberg is a great camera subject, but he's mostly been a subject in documentaries about other people, like Jack Kerouac or William Burroughs.
- Allen Ginsberg is a great poet, but he only really liked poets who wrote like him, in his style.
- Allen Ginsberg was a member of the original Dharma Beats cosmic team which was created in 1983.
- Allen Ginsberg was born in New Jersey in 1926, the son of a well-known poet and teacher.
- Among the foreign monks special mention may be made of Subhakara Si"mha, Vajrabodhi and Amoghavajra, all from India.
- The Tang emperor granted dharma instruments to Amoghavajra who setup the first abhiseka-bodhi-mandala at Daxing Temple, thus founded Hanmi.
- Wutai was completed in 767, a pet project of Amoghavajra's, and one of his many efforts to promote the bodhisattva Ma--ju--r-- as the protector of China.
- Amy Tan is a very popular novelist in the United States with her books The Kitchen God's Wife and The Joy Luck Club, which was made into a movie.
- Amy Tan was born in California shortly after her parents emigrated from China.
- Amy Tan was born in Oakland, California in 1952, several years after her mother and father immigrated to the San Francisco Bay area from China.
- An Shih Kao was a Bhiksu when he was a little boy.
- An Shih Kao was conversant with Chinese and was the first to translate Indian texts into Chinese.
- An Shih Kao was the first historical Buddhist figure to spread Buddhism and Zen to China and the first known translator of Indian sutras into Chinese.
- An Shih Kao was the first to translate Buddhist documents into Chinese and founded Chinese Buddhism.
- Anagarika Dharmapala was born as David Hewavitarana in 1864, and received his early education at Christian schools (not unlike Arumuga Navalar).
- Anagarika Dharmapala was one of the greatest men Sri Lanka has produced.
- Lama Anagarika Govinda was a German who lived from 1898 - 1986.
- Anagarika Govinda, der unter diesem Namen in Indien eingebürgert wurde, kam als Sohn eines deutschen Vaters und einer bolivianischen Mutter am 17.
- Ananda was apparently unsatisfied by this reply, and asked the question again.
- Ananda was known for his excellent memory.
- Andrew Black is a Buddhist who came in fifth in the 2005 World Poker Championship.
- Andrew Black was born in 1966 and lives in Dublin, Ireland.
- Andy Lau is a great singer.
- Andy Lau is a male stripper named Big outfitted in an enormous rubber Hulk suit.
- Andy Lau is one example of a person who is multi-talented and pretty much good at it.
- Andy Lau is the best for this century yet.
- Andy Lau is the best, he can sing and make movie.
- Angulimala is a case in point.
- Angulimala is a multiple murderer, the terror of Savatthi.
- Angulimala was a highway robber who murdered more than a thousand of his fellow men.
- Angulimala was happy to see the man because he thought he could complete his task and obtain the one thousandth finger.
- Anita Mui is a strong woman.
- Anita Mui is for audience who love good songs, and appreciate professional performance.
- Anita Mui is one who keeps her promise.
- Anita Mui is the first one decided to go, Jacky Chan, Michelle and Leung Kai Fai will take care of her during the trip.
- Anita Mui was a Buddhist, so her funeral service was carried out according to Buddhism rituals.
- In 1959, Robert Aitken and his wife Anne Hopkins Aitken moved to Hawai'i to be near his young son Thomas Laune Aitken.
- Robert Aitken is a retired master of the Diamond Sangha , a Zen Buddhist society he founded in Honolulu in 1959 with his late wife Anne Hopkins Aitken.
- Asvaghosa is one of the four great Indian Buddhist sages who are called the 'four suns that illuminate the world'.
- Asvaghosa was a great orator and spoke in great details about the Buddhist doctrine and its principles.
- Aung San Suu Kyi is one of the world's leading campaigners for democracy and a Nobel Peace Prize winner of great heroism.
- Aung San Suu Kyi is the Nobel Prize-winning peace activist who is being detained by the military dictatorship of Myanmar.
- Aung San Suu Kyi was internationally recognized as a vibrant symbol of resistance to authoritarian rule.
- Baizhang was establishing temples in many places and had to make a decision.
- Banks was ecstatic his child had found such depths of creativity, as long as Daryl didn't want to be an actor.
- Banks was glad to see his little work family back in the groove.
- Banks was very careful with her.
- Roshi Bernard Glassman is a Zen teacher who runs a project for the homeless in Yonkers, New York.
- Roshi Bernard Glassman: We just finished a four week intensive study in which we worked a lot with these three tenets.
- Roshi Bernard Glassman: After many years of work, these were the four areas, four commitments, that some two hundred world religions could agree on.
- Bob Kaufman is a poet & writer.
- Bob Kaufman was active on San Francisco's North Beach, in New York's Lower East side, and the Village, from the 1950s through the 1980s.
- Bob Kaufman was born on April 18, 1925, in New Orleans, Louisiana, one of thirteen children.
- Bob Kaufman was born on this date in 1925.
- The former text became the chief object of study for the Ti-Lun ------ School of which Bodhiruci is regarded as the patriarch.
- A Chinese envoy came to the Chalukya court in AD 692 to invite Bodhiruci.
- On my way back home, however, I met an Indian monk named Bodhiruci, who taught me that Buddha's Teaching is the true way to eternal life.
- Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche Contains a brief biographical sketch and downloadable zip file containing a longer biography.
- He has studied with His Eminence Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche since 1980 and was ordained by him in 1996.
- Voice of Tibet: A Treasury of Sacred Mantras and Prayers gathered from the great masters of Tibet and sung by by Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche.
- Charles Johnson is a renowned novelist, essayist and writer of short stories.
- Charles Johnson is a novelist, scholar, and essayist.
- Cheng Yen is a philanthropist, a social worker, but most of all, she is a pious and humble Buddhist nun.
- Chokgyur Lingpa was the "manifestation", meaning the reincarnation, of King Trisong Deutsen's son, Prince Damdzin.
- Chokgyur Lingpa was the last of the 100 major tert-ns.
- Daisaku Ikeda is a Buddhist philosopher, an educator and a prolific writer and poet.
- Daisaku Ikeda was born in Tokyo on January 2, 1928, the fifth son in a poor working-class family that harvested seaweed.
- Daisaku Ikeda was born in Tokyo, Japan, on January 2, 1928, the son of a seaweed vendor.
- Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki was a remarkable man.
- Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki was a renowned Buddhist scholar largely responsible for the popularity of Buddhism in the West.
- Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki was no ordinary man.
- Daoji - A Buddhist monk who has attained folk hero status.
- Daoji was arrogant and estranged, upright and honest, and had wild traveling.
- Together with Sariputta and Maha Moggallana, they are the ten foremost eminent disciples of the Buddha.
- Sariputta? (Pali?, Shariputra Sanskrit?), one of the two chief disciples of the Buddha.
- Therav-da: the Teachings of the senior disciples of the Buddha who were Arahants.
- DZIGAR KONGTRUL RINPOCHE is a teacher in the Nyingma tradition of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche is a present-day holder of the lineage of Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Thaye.
- The Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche is a recognized lineage holder of both the Nyingma and Kagyu lineages.
- The Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche is one of the foremost scholars and educators of his generation in the Nyingma and Kagyu schools of Tibetan Buddhism.
- The Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche is the founder and spiritual director of Nalandabodhi.
- The Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche is the founder of Nalandabodhi and Nitartha international, and one of the leading teachers and scholars of his generation.
- Dzongsar_Jamyang_Khyentse_Rinpoche was born in Bhutan in 1961, and was recognized as the main incarnation of the Khyentse lineage of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Dzongsar_Jamyang_Khyentse_Rinpoche was born in Bhutan in 1961, and was recognized as the main incarnation of the great Jamyang Khyentse Ch--kyi Lodr--.
- Dzongsar_jamyang_khyentse_rinpoche is a renowned teacher of tibetan buddhism who has directed two critically acclaimed films.
- Noted translator of Buddhist texts Edward Conze (1904 - 1979) distinguishes three periods in the Buddhist use of mantra.
- Sutra itself has been dated by Edward Conze at 350 CE.
- France goalkeeper Fabien Barthez is another throwback to that final of 1998 and European Championship triumph of 2000.
- Senegal side, on the other hand peppered French goalie Fabien Barthez with three solid shots in the first nine minutes.
- Faxian was a Chinese Buddhist monk, who, between 399 and 412 travelled to India and Sri Lanka to bring Buddhist scriptures.
- Faye Wong was born on August the 8th in 1969.
- Faye Wong was named in the Guinness World Records as the best-selling Canto - Mandopop Mandopop is a colloquial abbreviation for "Mandarin pop music".
- Faye wong is the singer of this song for this meaningful charity event.
- Gary Glitter is a British rock and pop performer who first rose to fame in the early 1970s.
- Gary Glitter is to be the new Doctor Who.
- Gary Snyder is a Pulitzer Prize-winning poet, bioregional activist, Zen Buddhist, and reluctant counterculture guru.
- Gary Snyder is a poet of world renown, in addition to being an active advocate for environmental issues and a leading American Zen Buddhist.
- Gary Snyder is a writer, forest landowner, mountaineer, Buddhist, and bioregionalist living in the northern Sierra Nevada.
- Gary Snyder is the quintessential poet of Ecotopia, that fictional state of the Northwest mindset that runs from Northern California to British Columbia.
- Gary Snyder was born in San Francisco in 1930, and grew up partly in Portland, Oregon, and partly in the coastal Washington (state) countryside.
- Genshin was born in the village of Taima in Yamato Province (modern Nara prefecture) to a family of provincial gentry named Urabe.
- Gihwa was born in 1376, thus being thirty-four years a junior to Jeong.
- Glassman was the first to name his own successor, giving shiho to writer Peter Matthiessen, who founded Sagaponack Zendo.
- Glassman: The practices of not knowing and deep listening have led me to try to bring all of the voices to the table.
- By Gustav Meyrink, amazingly first published in 1916.
- The Hot Soldier is a book written in 1903 by Gustav Meyrink.
- Haing Ngor, the people of Cambodia, the people of the world, deserve better than this.
- As a college student in the early 1990s, I read a book narrated and co-authored by the movie's Oscar-winning actor, Dr. Haing Ngor.
* Henry Steel Olcott
* Herbie Hancock
* Hsing Yun
* Hsuan Hua
* Jackie Chan
* Jack Kerouac
* Jack Kornfield
* Jerry Brown
* Jet Li
* Jigme Phuntsok
* John Cage
* Josei Toda
* Kadampa Tradition
* Kalu Rinpoche
* Karl Eugen Neumann
* Karma Pakshi
* Karma Triyana Dharmachakra
* Keanu Reeves
* Kelsang Gyatso
* Khakyab Dorje
* Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche
* Kings of Shambhala
* Kitaro Nishida
* Kono Yohei
* Koo Stark
* Kwan Um School of Zen
* Laurie Anderson
* Ledi Sayadaw
* Lee Byung-Hun
* Leonard Cohen
* Liu Ying
* Masao Abe
* Maxi Jazz
* Michael Everson
* Michelle Yeoh
* Mipham Chokyi Lodro
* Mipham Jamyang Gyatso
* Natalie Goldberg
* Nhat Hanh
* Nishida Kitaro
* Nishitani Keiji
* Nyanasamvara Suvaddhana
* Orlando Bloom
* Pabongka Rinpoche
* Patrick Duffy
* Pema Chodron
* Philip Glass
* Philip Kapleau
* Phil Jackson
* Phoolan Devi
* Preah Maha Ghosananda
* Rangjung Rigpe Dorje
* Reginald Ray
* Richard Gere
* Roberto Baggio
* Robert Aitken
* Robert Thurman
* Rob Preece
* Ron Glass
* Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche
* Sanbo Kyodan
* Shambhala Buddhism
* Soyen Shaku
* Stephen Batchelor
* Steven Seagal
* Sulak Sivaraksa
* Susan Blackmore
* Sylvia Wetzel
* Tenzin Delek
* Teresa Teng
* Thich Quang Duc
* Thomas Cleary
* Thrangu Rinpoche
* Thubten Yeshe
* Thubten Zopa Rinpoche
* Tila Nguyen
* Tina Turner
* Toda Josei
* Tomek Lehnert
* Traleg Kyabgon Rinpoche
* Tsunesaburo Makiguchi
* Tsurphu Monastery
* Uma Thurman
* Urgyen Trinley Dorje
* U Ba Khin
* Yinyuan Longqi
* Zentatsu Richard Baker
* Zen Masters
Books about "Glossary of Buddhists" in