Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Glossary of Operas"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- Operas are usually performed in special buildings called opera houses.
- Operas are meant to be heard primarily in theatres, especially Scalla, with live big performances.
- Operas were commissioned by impresarios for performance during a specific season for a specific theater.
- Operas were put on one by one if someone found a way to pay for them.
- The operas are often deceptively simple.
- COMPOSER - The one who writes the music and orchestrates it.
- The composer was a great admirer of the young singer.
- The composer was a passionate and idealistic personality, one given to incandescent enthusiasms and uncompromising struggles.
- The composer was already well known and liked when he arrived in the Bohemian capital.
- The composer was aware of this use of his name and is supposed to have consented.
- Aida is a classic tale of love, jealousy, betrayal and death that tells the story of an Egyptian princess who falls in love with an army commander.
- Aida is a chamber opera, an opera about individuals isolated, trapped by their own circumstance.
- AIDA was merged with TCOL.Ada to form Diana.
- AIDA was originally directed by Robert Falls and produced by Disney Theatrical Productions.
- Aida is a grand mixture of breath-taking spectacle and an intimate drama of love and jealousy set in the exotic era of the Egyptian pharaohs.
- A Life for the Tsar is a "patriotic-heroic tragic opera" in five acts with an epilogue by Mikhail Glinka.
- A Life for the Tsar was banned until revised as Ivan Susanin with a new libretto by Sergei Gorodetsky (Moscow 1939).
- A Life for the Tsar was the first of Glinka's two great operas.
- Albert Herring is a comedy, there is no doubt.
- Albert Herring is a comic chamber opera by Benjamin Britten , his Opus 39.
- Albert Herring is a comic chamber opera by Benjamin Britten .
- Albert Herring is a comic opera by Benjamin Britten.
- Albert Herring is a delight, and should be in good hands with this fine ensemble.
- Turandot is a grand-scale opera set in China's legendary Forbidden City.
- Turandot is a Chinese princess determined not to marry.
- Turandot is a Persian word and name meaning "the daughter of Turan ", Turan being a region of Central Asia which used to be part of the Persian Empire.
- Turandot is a princess to die for.
- Turandot is a romantic three-act opera that tells the story of Turandot, an ice princess forced by her father to choose a suitor.
- Alcina is a Baroque opera.
- Alcina is a dangerous enchantress.
- Alcina is a kind of companion piece to the much more popular Ariodante .
- Alcina is a sorceress who shipwrecks sailors on her island so that she can take her pick of fresh lovers every so often.
- Alcina is a sorceress who turns her conquests into beasts and stones.
- Amahl and the Night Visitors is a one-act opera in English by Gian Carlo Menotti.
- AMAHL AND THE NIGHT VISITORS is a one-act opera written by Gian Carlo Menotti on an original English libretto written by the composer.
- Amahl and the Night Visitors is a one-act opera.
- Amahl and the Night Visitors is a perfect introduction to opera for children and families.
- Amahl and the Night Visitors is an opera in one act by Gian Carlo Menotti on an original English libretto by the composer .
- Ariadne auf Naxos is a comedic opera in which two separate skits are essentially combined into one.
- Ariadne auf Naxos is a much more popular work.
- Ariadne auf Naxos is a very funny opera that is replete with moments of great depth and beauty, written in Richard Strauss's best fin de siecle mode.
- Ariadne auf Naxos is an underappreciated delight of an opera.
- Ariodante is a wonderful opera, full of light and life.
- Ariodante is a prince engaged to the king's daughter Ginevra.
- Ariodante is a trouser role.
- Ariodante is part of the standard operatic repertoire.
- Ariodante was the first new opera that Handel produced in his first season at Covent Garden.
- Carmen is a French opera by Georges Bizet, with text by Meilhac and Hal-vy, based on the novel by Prosper M-rim-e.
- Carmen is a beautiful gypsy girl, at the beginning of the opera making an honest living in a cigarette factory.
- Carmen is a case in point.
- Carmen is a fabulous heroine, she seduces men, breaks their hearts without ever showing regret.
- Carmen is a fickle and disloyal temptress who works in a factory.
- Don Giovanni is a 1979 film adaptation of Mozart's classic opera Don Giovanni .
- Don Giovanni is a character where you can give all this ferocity and this energy.
- Don Giovanni is a co-production with Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie in Brussels .
- Don Giovanni is a co-production with Th----tre Royal.
- Don Giovanni is a compelling combination of comic and dramatic traditions reflected in a score by Mozart that spans the musical spectrum.
- Don Pasquale is a basso buffo role, meaning it is more often declaimed in the form of quick patters than it is sung.
- Don Pasquale is a comic opera ( opera buffa) in three acts by Gaetano Donizetti.
- Don Pasquale is a lighthearted operatic tale of love, intrigue, and deception.
- Don Pasquale is a lighthearted tale of love, intrigue, and deception.
- Don Pasquale is a number opera.
- ERNANI is one of Verdi 's earlier operas that doesn't get staged all that often.
- Ernani is a fine Verdi opera sung most beautifully.
- Ernani is a romantic opera based .
- Ernani is a romantic opera based on a homonymous play by Victor Hugo.
- Ernani is a song of vigor and anarchic liveliness.
- FIDELIO is a great opera.
- Fidelio is a complex of contradictions and opposing forces.
- Fidelio is a white-hot opera, encompassing not just life and death situations but questions of freedom and responsibility.
- Fidelio is a work like no other.
- Fidelio is an example of a ---rescue opera---, a type of opera which was popular at the time.
- The Gambler is a fascinating and innovative opera by one of the 20th century's most popular composers.
- The Gambler is a novel by Fyodor Dostoevsky about a young tutor in the employment of a formerly wealthy Russian General.
- The Gambler is a novel by Fyodor Dostoyevsky about a young tutor in the employment of a formerly wealthy Russian General.
- The Gambler is a novel by Fyodor Dostoyevsky about a youngish tutor in the employment of a formerly wealthy Russia n civil servant.
- The Gambler is a novella by Fyodor Dostoyevsky about a young tutor in the employ of a formerly wealthy Russian civil servant.
- Idomeneo is a "sea" opera.
- Idomeneo is a challenging role, it has high tessitura and acrobatics that Mozart wrote for the original castrati in the part.
- Idomeneo is a masterpiece that's only beginning to gain its rightful place in Mozart's canon.
- Idomeneo is a masterwork that has been resuscitated by the historical performance movement.
- Idomeneo is a successful synthesis of French trag--die lyrique and Italian opera.
- Il Trovatore is a difficult and gloomy work, more popular half a century ago when Rig, Trav & Trov were Verdi's best known operas.
- Il Trovatore is a difficult opera to do well.
- Il Trovatore is a high energy opera, sometimes relegated to the position of static vehicle for static veterans.
- Il Trovatore is a notoriously difficult maze to thread, but Simon Boccanegra seems more tangled still.
- Il Trovatore is a roller-coaster of frantic passion in beautifully lyrical episodes.
- La Cenerentola is a comic opera by Gioacchino Rossini .
- LA CENERENTOLA is a one-of-a-kind evening's entertainment, no matter what the sets and costumes and staging look like.
- La Cenerentola is a light romantic opera retelling the tale of Cinderella in Italian.
- La Cenerentola is a little unusual in that it has a happy ending.
- La Cenerentola is a long opera, and some cutting may have been necessary, but it was a little indiscriminate.
- La Juive is a masterpiece.
- LA JUIVE was a once popular opera that faded from the repertoire of most opera companies.
- La Juive is a long opera and much of the music was written to accompany spectacular stage ceremonial.
- La Juive is a role that De Angelis did not do on stage.
- La Juive was borrowed from the Vienna State Opera and was brought to the MET as a vehicle for Shicoff.
- LA TRAVIATA is a unique opera that needs a singer with true star quality.
- La Traviata is a 1983 film based on the Giuseppe Verdi opera of the same name .
- La Traviata is a classic timeless it of the true rings in the middle of humanity.
- La Traviata is a feast for opera lovers.
- La Traviata is a lovely one.
- Luisa Miller is a great opera on its own, but a tremendous cast and a conductor who loves and understands Verdi can blast it into the stratosphere.
- Luisa Miller is a fitting conclusion to this second part of my four-part survey of Verdi-s life and his operas.
- Luisa Miller is a tale of a young woman's thwarted love amongst political intrigue during the late Renaissance.
- Luisa Miller is a transition work.
- Luisa Miller is a transitional work in the Verdi canon.
- Madama Butterfly is a classy, well-crafted, beautiful performance from start to finish.
- Madama Butterfly is a great opera, by far Puccini's finest, but one should see it only rarely.
- Madama Butterfly is a nice opera, although horribly overdone.
- Madama Butterfly is a tender love story with a tragic ending.
- Madama Butterfly is a tragic opera in three acts by the Italian composer Giacomo Puccini (see Puccini, Giacomo).
- Mignon is a beautiful opera that inexplicably -- and, in my opinion, unjustly -- lies outside the standard repertory.
- Mignon is a chef-d'oeuvre of taste, grace, and poetry.
- Mignon is a common female first name and a very rare surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census).
- Mignon is a little gem of an opera.
- Mignon is a model of automotive record player built from 1960 to 1964 by Phillips Norelco AG (germany) and produced in Austria.
- Orfeo ed Euridice is part of the standard operatic repertoire .
- Orfeo ed Euridice is a co-production with.
- Orfeo ed Euridice is a new production.
- Orfeo ed Euridice is a tale based upon ancient legend which incorporates a love story.
- Orfeo ed Euridice is a work of both passion and simplicity which never fails to move me in live performances or on recordings.
- Otello is a drama about jealousy.
- Otello is a gigantic string of sometimes beautiful, often exquisite melodic fragments that are never given the opportunity to fully develop.
- Otello is a hot-blooded opera, and Decker's approach may ultimately not be suited to the material.
- Otello is a strategy board game named after an opera.
- Otello is a tragic figure, and if Heppner did not elicit pity and fear in the audience, he gave an otherwise superb portrayal.
- Parsifal is a complicated opera, with a theme that is serious and, at times, drawn out.
- Parsifal is a controversial work that lends itself to a multiplicity of interpretations.
- Parsifal is a great opera even if Wagner did compose it.
- Parsifal is a medieval symbol of purity and innocence.
- Parsifal is a music drama in three acts by Richard Wagner.
- Porgy and Bess is a 1958 album by jazz musician Miles Davis which he and Gil Evans arranged from George Gershwin 's opera Porgy and Bess .
- Porgy and Bess is a 1959 movie based on George Gershwin 's opera of the same name .
- Porgy and Bess is a folk opera composed by George Gershwin.
- Porgy and Bess is a folktale.
- Porgy and Bess is a recording of the Glyndebourne Festival Opera version of the George Gershwin opera of the same name.
- Rigoletto is a baritone's opera, not a soprano's.
- Rigoletto is a challenging role, musically, theatrically and psychologically, but Azzam had it completely mastered.
- Rigoletto is a cripple, who works as a jester for the Duke of Mantua.
- Rigoletto is a jester in the court of the Duke of Mantua.
- Rigoletto is a man of contrast and conflict.
- Stiffelio is a GREAT opera.
- Stiffelio is a Protestant Minister whose preaching often takes him away from home.
- Stiffelio is a Protestant pastor whose wife is having an affair.
- Stiffelio is a notable work because it reveals Verdi as a remarkable composer when dealing with contemporary moral issues, as La Traviata does also.
- Stiffelio is a pastor in a small isolated Lutheran community, whose faith is tested when he discovers that his wife Lina is an adulteress.
- Street Scene is a long and powerful show; opera companies here and abroad have taken it up, to good advantage.
- Street Scene is a play by Elmer Rice, which opened at the Playhouse Theatre in New York City on January 10, 1929 and ran for a total of 601 performances.
- Street Scene is a story of love, passion, greed and death on a New York City street.
- Street Scene is probably one of the greatest overlooked operas around.
- Street Scene is the third of the four operas in the 2001- 2002 Dicapo Season.
- Tancredi is a melodrama in two acts to a libretto by Gaetano Rossi.
- Tancredi is a hothead who leaves to join Garibaldi, but a realist who returns as a member of the army of the victorious Victor Emmanuel.
- Tancredi is a knight returning home from a long exile.
- Tancredi is a real masterpiece and is Rossini through and through with beautiful melodies and intertwined choruses, solos, snd ensembles.
- Tancredi is a trowser role.
- The Barber Of Seville is one of the most famous operas ever written.
- The Barber of Seville is a comic opera in two Acts by Gioacchino Rossini.
- The Barber of Seville is a light-hearted comedy.
- The Barber of Seville is a story of a barber named, Figaro in Seville, Spain who is also a match maker, a tailor, and whatever else the town people needed.
- The Barber of Seville is a theatre play by Beaumarchais, written in 1775, and originally entitled Le Barbier de S--ville in French.
- The Old Maid and the Thief is a Menotti opera known far more by its name than from actual performances.
- The Old Maid and the Thief is a comic tale of how two conniving love interests make a thief out of and honest man.
- The Old Maid and the Thief is a one act opera by Italian-American composer Gian Carlo Menotti , written and premiered in 1939 .
- The Old Maid and the Thief is a one-act opera by Gian Carlo Menotti.
- The Old Maid and the Thief is a twisted tale of morals and evil womanly power.
- Tosca is a clinger.
- Tosca is a great opera and, yes I admit I always thought that Callas, was the best Tosca, and Ramey the best Scarpia.
- Tosca is a nail-biting thriller, tragic love story, and legendary betrayal all in one.
- Tosca is a play by Victorien Sardou .It was the basis to the opera Tosca by Giacomo Puccini .
- Tosca is a political thriller in a time of political scandal.
- TREEMONISHA was written by Scott Joplin in 1911, the first opera composed by an Afro- American.
- TREEMONISHA is a delightful work for audiences of every age, race, and creed.
- Treemonisha is a powerful fictional African American heroine who lived during the years shortly after the emancipation of slaves.
- Treemonisha is a two-hour opera in three acts, with a libretto by the composer.
- Treemonisha is a wonderful fictional African American heroine who lived during the years shortly after the emancipation of slaves.
- Tristan und Isolde is a five star opera if there ever was one, but this production is only strong enough to rate four.
- TRISTAN UND ISOLDE is a very personal artistic expression.
- Tristan und Isolde is a great favourite of mine and I fully expected to give it 5 stars, but as it progressed my rating went steadily down.
- Tristan und Isolde is a story of passion, devotion.
- Tristan und Isolde is a sublime example of Wagner's aid to progress into Romanticism and leave behind old concepts.
- A Quiet Place is an American opera in three acts, with music by Leonard Bernstein to a libretto by Stephen Wadsworth.
- CILEA: Adriana Lecouvreur ( Opera Australia, 1984) (NTSC) in quality cd, top classical music compilation.
- The concert concluded with two encores &endash; the Ave Maria from Otello, and Adriana Lecouvreur's 'Io son l'umile ancella'.
- Last night being la prima of Adriana Lecouvreur at Teatro alla Scala, Opera Chic had to be there.
- Albion and Albanius was one of the first English operas ( The Siege of Rhodes being considered the first).
- Alzira is a fully staged, professional performance with a full orchestra and costumes, and admission is free of charge.
- Alzira is a product of Verdi 's self-described " galley years," the eighth of his 28 operas.
- Alzira is an Inca princess whose lover, Zamaro, is an Indian chief believed to have been killed by the Spaniards.
- Alzira is an energetic, vibrant, and rhythmic opera with music very much like that of La Traviata without the elegance and introspection.
- Anna Bolena is a tragedia lirica , or opera , in two acts by Gaetano Donizetti .
- Anna Bolena is part of the standard operatic repertoire.
- Anna Bolena is the first of what are known as Donizetti 's "queen" operas, all set during England's Tudor period.
- Apollo et Hyacinthus is a lesser-known work among Mozart’s corpus of vocal music.
- Apollo et Hyacinthus is a remarkably mature composition.
- Apollo et Hyacinthus is an opera , K. 38, written in 1767 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart , who was 11 years old at the time.
- Apollo et Hyacinthus is an opera, K.38, written by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in 1767.
- Aroldo is an opera in four acts by Giuseppe Verdi to an Italian libretto by Francesco Maria Piave, based on their earlier collaboration, Stiffelio.
- Henze's The Young Lord (1965) and Ginastera's Bomarzo (1964) and Beatrix Cenci (1971) are highly innovative and controversial.
- He further developed this style in his final opera, Beatrix Cenci, which had its debut in 1971 in Washington, D.C.
- The opera house's acoustical turn came on Friday, with the premiere of Beatrix Cenci by Argentinian Master Alberto Ginastera.
- Belisario is a compact score with much to recommend it.
- Belisario is a very rare male first name and a very rare surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census).
- Belisario was a great success when it debuted in 1836 - it ran for 28 consecutive nights.
- Belisario was also frequently performed in Germany in the nineteenth century.
- Belisario was his next opera immediately after Lucia di Lammermoor, and has been overshadowed by it ever since.
* Betrothal In A Monastery
* Brandenburgers In Bohemia
* Brief Life
* Cavalleria Rusticana
* Ca Ira
* Dantons Tod
* Das Liebesverbot
* Das Rheingold
* Daughter of The Regiment
* Death of Klinghoffer
* Der Ring Des Nibelungen
* Der Rosenkavalier
* Devil And Kate
* De Temporum Fine Comoedia
* Dialogues of The Carmelites
* Dido And Aeneas
* Die Feen
* Die Hochzeit
* Don Carlos
* Don Rodrigo
* Eighth Wonder
* Einstein On The Beach
* Fiery Angel
* Florencia En El Amazonas
* Four Saints In Three Acts
* Gianni Schicchi
* Giulio Cesare
* Golden Cockerel
* Hansel Und Gretel
* Heure Espagnole
* Hugh The Drover
* Il Corsaro
* Il Guarany
* Il Matrimonio Segreto
* Il Pastore
* Il Tabarro
* Island of Tulipatan
* I Due Foscari
* I Lombardi Alla Prima Crociata
* King Roger
* Knot Garden
* La Battaglia Di Legnano
* La Cenicienta
* La Clemenza Di Tito
* La Forza Del Destino
* La Gazza Ladra
* La Rondine
* La Sonnambula
* La Vestale
* La Wally
* Les Huguenots
* Les Troyens
* Le Flibustier
* Le Grand Macabre
* Le Villi
* Little Prince
* Lucia Di Lammermoor
* Maid of Orleans
* Marriage of Figaro
* Miserly Knight
* Mozart And Salieri
* Oca Del Cairo
* Oedipus Rex
* Peter Grimes
* Prince Igor
* Quattro Rusteghi
* Rape of Lucretia
* Roberto Devereux
* Ruslan And Lyudmila
* Shining Brow
* Simon Boccanegra
* Snow Maiden
* Sposo Deluso
* Stone Guest
* Suor Angelica
* Tabarro Il
* Tale of Tsar Saltan
* The Bartered Bride
* The Flying Dutchman
* The Love For Three Oranges
* The Queen of Spades
* The Snow Bogatyr
* The Threepenny Opera
* Trouble In Tahiti
* Turco In Italia
* Un Ballo In Maschera
* Un Giorno Di Regno
Books about "Glossary of Operas" in