Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Hymns"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- The hymns are dedicated mainly to Agni and Indra, the Visvadevas, the Maruts, the twin-deity Mitra-Varuna and the Asvins.
- Hymns are sung, psalms are vocalized and spiritual songs are uplifted to praise God.
- His hymns are widely sung at National Coventions of the Church of God in Christ and many Pentecostal churches both African-American and Anglo.
- HYMNS is of interest to all fans of pure country, regardless of religious persuasion.
- The hymns are not unlike the psalms of thanksgiving in the Bible.
- When blacks began singing adapted versions of these hymns, they were called Negro spirituals.
- He developed a new focus - expressing one's personal feelings in the relationship with God as well as the simple worship seen in older hymns.
- Elizabeth Charles wrote over fifty books, as well as writing and translating a number of hymns.
- Hymns and other forms of religious music are often of traditional and unknown origin.
- A number of well-known hymns, including Augustus Montague Toplady 's Rock of Ages first appeared in the Gospel Magazine.
- They range from short hymns for solo voices to oratorios and elaborate psalm settings in several movements for double choir and orchestra.
- Burge, Oxford, 1886); George Warda and Khamis bar Kardahe, authors of numerous hymns, in the Nestorian office.
- Festivals, pilgrimage, chanting of holy hymns and home worship are dynamic practices.
- I highly recommend this album to any Jars of Clay fan, or anyone interested in becoming more familiar with some old hymns put to modern music.
- Most Recent Customer Reviews Jars of Clay: Redemption Songs There is something I just love about new versions of old hymns.
- Fragments of old hymns make reference to him as a lunar deity, and as a "traverser" of space like Khonsu-Thoth.
- Scholars have identified seventeen hymns that are believed to be by Zarathustra himself.
- Subsequent developments in musical instruments in India occurred with the Rigveda, or religious hymns.
- But the first chants, litanies, and hymns were in Latin and too theological for popular use.
- There are widespread traditions of the southern migration of the Vedic sage, Agastya, the reputed author of several hymns of the Rg-Veda.
- There are several hymns that indicate the notions of pantheism and panentheism, which form a significant part of Vedic theology.
- Their previous album A Northern Soul was already marked down in the annals of rock history as a classic; Urban Hymns surpasses it and then some.
- The Orphic Hymns are a set of pre-classical poetic compositions, attributed to Orpheus, himself the subject of a renowned myth.
- The Zoroastrian holy book is called the Avesta which includes the teachings of Zarathushtra written in a series of five hymns called the Gathas.
- Within the Yasna there is a group of five hymns known as the Gathas, which are composed in a more archaic dialect than the remainder of the Avesta.
- An interest in counterpoint produced the five Hymns and Fuguing Tunes (1941-45).
- He is the god of the Sun at Sunrise and Sunset, and was most often invoked in the latter role in Vedic hymns.
- The cult of Mithra in Persia and India is ancient, for there are references to Mithra in the Avestas and in the Vedic hymns.
- Of this there were several stages, the oldest of which is the Vedic, or language of the Vedic Hymns.
- The music in Baptist churches varies from traditional hymns, to southern gospel, to the more contemporary modern worship styles.
- Megachurches typically use modern, upbeat praise music in a number of pop styles instead of traditional hymns.
- For example, the heroic Iliad and Odyssey dwarfed the divine-focused Theogony and Homeric Hymns in both size and popularity.
- In Homeric Greek, prayers are part of the larger epics and appear also as an independent genre in the Homeric Hymns, for example.
- A story of the conception of Aeneas can be found in the Homeric Hymns.
- The abhishek is offered to Lord Shiva while chanting the rudra (sacred hymns).
- He states the doctrine in two places in his Gathas, the sacred hymns that form the core text of the religion's scriptures.
- In 1980 he recorded an album of Gurdjieff's compositions, called Sacred Hymns, for ECM.
- We've just finished our first new addition, the 1980 hymnal "Hymns of Faith", with complete text information and page scans for reading.
- In the case of those masses which are celebrated with singing and with organ, let nothing profane be intermingled, but only hymns and divine praises.
- Paeans were the name of hymns sung to Apollo.
- Many royal hymns were writtena to and in the name of Shulgi, the second great king of the dynasty.
- In order to honor the Ancient Greek pantheon, poets composed the Homeric Hymns (a group of thirty-three songs).
- It includes hymns of more then 20 Hindu and Muslim saints of India.
- Shelley translated the Homeric Hymns into English in ottava rima.
- Catholic churches, art, hymns, poetry, and stories are filled with Mary acting to help the others in this communion of saints – the church.
- The devotional hymns are rich in poetry and piety, serving to highlight the relationship between the devotee and the deity.
- He published Masses, motets, hymns, Lamentations, etc.
- Break off the measure, and change the time; and now with chanting and hymns adorn Demeter, goddess mighty and high, the harvest-queen, the giver of corn.
- The album is a psych-folk masterpiece, and a new revelation of hymns and raga blues.
- Originally, the word Asura in the earliest hymns of the Rig Veda (the holy book of the Indo-Aryans) meant any supernatural spirit—good or bad.
- Nagar Kirtan celebrations are performed in terms of singing of hymns from the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, a holy book of Sikhs.
- Find your favorite Christmas carols, songs and popular hymns.
- The practice of singing based on notes was popular even from the Vedic times where the hymns in Sama Veda, a sacred text, was sung and not chanted.
- The Akathist Hymn has proven so popular in the liturgical life of the Church that many other hymns have been written following its format.
- They sang other hymns and paeans in Greek and Latin, to ensure the safety of the cities under Rome; other ceremonies besides were performed.
- Methodism's founders, John and Charles Wesley, published a small collection of Pentecost poems and hymns that celebrated God's presence and love.
- Charles Wesley's Love-feast, first published in the 1740 edition of Hymns and Sacred Poems, has invariably been sung in some version to the present time.
- A short biography of Charles Beecher, minister, church musician and composer of hymns.
- Charles Beecher (October 1, 1815 – April 21, 1900) was an American minister, composer of religious hymns, and prolific author.
- Throughout his life Wesley's closest confidant was his brother and coworker Charles, the composer of a number of well-known hymns.
- Throughout the 1960s her composing focused on sacred music - hymns and masses.
- Christian hymns have had considerable influence in the style of vocal music in Polynesia.
- The monks praised and thanked God, and sang many hymns and songs for this holy father.
- Monasteries had libraries, and monks wrote theological works and hymns.
- Even the Gayatri mantra, which is regarded as one of the most sacred of the Hindu hymns is dedicated to the Sun.
- In the Vedas, numerous hymns are dedicated to Mitra, Varuna, Savitr etc.
- The majority of national anthems are either marches or hymns in style.
- He's all over the map—blues, ragas, old hymns and marches, folk songs.
- Martin Luther composed a number of hymns in the 16th century, reportedly borrowing some of their melodies from popular tavern drinking songs of that period.
- Here you'll find hymns, documents on the Underworld, and other ways of becoming initiated into the mysteries of the Hellenes.
- The Mysteries seem to be related to a myth concerning Demeter, the goddess of agriculture and fertility as recounted in one of the Homeric Hymns (c.
- The name "Iacchus" may come from the iakchos, hymns sung in honor of Dionysus.
- The form has a gravity that is suitable for hymns, and Lyons makes good use of his flexible Adoneus to round off each stanza.
- Some of the later hymns of the Rig Veda contain speculations that form the basis for much of Indian religious and philosophical thought.
- The wisdom teachings he received from Ahura Mazda are given in the form of seventeen hymns, the Gathas, contained in the Avesta scripture.
- Belief > Religion > Zoroastrianism > Zoroaster
- Culture > Arts > Music > Singing
* Gospel Songs
* Guru Granth Sahib
* John Wesley
* Methodist Theology
* Religious Literature
* Rig Veda
* Sacred Writings
* Sarasvati River
* Singing Hymns
* South India
* Spiritual Songs
* Virgin Mary
* Work Songs
Books about "Hymns" in