Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Observatories"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- Observatories are listed according to the types of telescopes they mostly operate, for example, optical or radio telescopes.
- Observatories are usually located at high altitudes so as to minimise the absorption and distortion caused by the Earth's atmosphere.
- His observatories were also laboratories employing the latest in photographic and spectrographic techniques.
- Most observatories are going to be of simple construction.
- Major observatories were built in Persian territories such as Maragheh and Samarkand over the centuries.
- It comprises five research campuses, including the Observatories, the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, and the Geophysical Laboratory.
- It has also been thought that they were used as observatories when the Babylonians studied the starry heavens.
- Some structures are thought to serve as astronomical observatories or calendars.
- Astronomy, astrology, climatology, geology, meteorology and volcanology are examples of disciplines for which observatories have been constructed.
- Wikipedia: observatory This article is about scientific observatories.
- The island houses the world's biggest telescope and more scientific observatories in one place than anywhere else in the world.
- The Department of Astronomy at UVa operates two local observatories.
- Wilson and Palomar observatories were renamed (1969-86) the Hale Observatories.
- The Empire State Building has one of the most popular outdoor observatories in the world, having been visited by over 110 million people.
- Gamma-ray observatories The Compton Gamma-Ray Observatory (CGRO) was launched by the space shuttle in April 1991.
- In practice, the effects of air and light pollution outweigh those of airglow at most observatories in the United States.
- The two Orbiting Astronomical Observatories yielded a wealth of data.
- Future space observatories The Herschel Space Observatory will be launched by the European Space Agency in 2007 to study the far infrared.
- Ford also visited several observatories, astronomers, and museums.
- Lowell Observatory is among the oldest observatories in the United States, and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1965.
- The Jantar Mantar in Jaipur is actually one of six major observatories built by the Maharajah.
- Astronomical Optical Interferometry - The use of multiple telescopes to produce high resolution images - commonly used at most modern observatories.
- This is the Jantar Mantar, one of several astronomical observatories raised by Maharaja Jai Singh II of Jaipur.
- Several astronomical observatories are located on its summit.
- Some may be working at solar observatories or with telescopes out in space.
- Titanium paint is an excellent reflector of infrared, and is extensively used in solar observatories where heat causes poor seeing conditions.
- Each of the Great Observatories has had a similar size and cost at program outset, and each has made a substantial contribution to astronomy.
- The great observatories of the world are responsible for many of the prolific astronomical observations of the twentieth century.
- A few years after Spitzer's death, though, NASA launched another of its "Great Observatories," to study the infrared sky.
- Data from space-based observatories like Spitzer, IRAS and ISO help fill in the gaps between the atmospheric windows listed above.
- For optical telescopes, most ground-based observatories are located far from major centers of population in order to avoid the effects of light pollution.
- Astronomical observatories fall into two main categories: ground-based observatories and space-based observatories.
- It aims to allow global electronic access to the available astronomical data archives of space and ground-based observatories, sky survey databases.
- This is the Wikiproject template for telescopes, space telescopes, astronomical observatories, and astronomical surveys.
- Astronomical Observatories in Spain - The professional astronomical observatories that dedicates to astrophysics research in Spain.
- This WikiProject aims primarily to document telescopes (both ground-based and space observatories), astronomical observatories, and astronomical surveys.
- It is mostly used by observatories for research and space observations.
- Mid and far-infrared observations can only be made by observatories which can get above our atmosphere.
- All of these factors have made Mauna Kea a prime target for state-of-the-art astronomy, and the summit is home to many different observatories.
- The summit is widely known for its observatories built by many nations, the best seeing disk with a measurement of ~0.2 arcseconds.
- A road that reaches a cluster of astronomical observatories on the summit also provides access to seasonal tropical skiing.
- Established by the international Astrographic Congress of 1887 in Paris, the project involved the collaboration of many observatories.
- Press releases and information about the observatories.
- His early observations were carried out on the island of Hven (now Swedish) where he built a pair of observatories, Uraniborg and later Stjerneborg.
- It also brought him the most famous observatories in European history - Uraniborg Castle in Denmark and Benatky near Prague.
- Several neutrino observatories were created including the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory to try and measure the amount of neutrinos given off by the Sun.
- Neutrino observatories have also been built, primarily to study our Sun.
- In addition to the House of Wisdom, al-Ma'mun set up observatories in which Muslim astronomers could build on the knowledge acquired by earlier peoples.
- According to some reports it was one of the best equipped observatories in India at that time.
- Jantar Mantar: Sawai Jai Singh who also built the five observatories in India built the largest stone observatory in the world, Jantar Mantar.
- It is one of the oldest observatories in India built by Swathi Thirunal Balarama Varma, the king of Travancore, in 1836.
- Manages astronomical observatories for universities and National Science Foundation, press releases and information.
- After the Civil War, observatories became a common addition to colleges and universities, which increasingly undertook serious astronomical research.
- Manages several astronomical observatories for universities and for the National Science Foundation.
- But once alerted, astronomers working at large observatories around the world can carefully monitor and study these newly identified objects.
- George Ellery Hale, later the founder of Yerkes, Mount Wilson, and Palomar Observatories, began his astronomical career as an amateur in Chicago.
- Observatories - The Mount Wilson Observatory soon set the style for modern observatories.
- He helped found a number of observatories, including Yerkes Observatory and Mount Wilson Observatory.
- In order to limit the natural or artificial background noise, most particle detector based observatories are build deep underground.
- They provide information about the history of the observatories, and the research interests and projects of the staff.
- The following is a list of astronomical observatories, along with initial dates of operation and location, if available.
- Vanderbilt Distinguished Research Scientist Dr. C.R. (Bob) O'Dell will talk about why these new observatories are built and how they are used.
- You'll see a snapshot of life at many different observatories where astronomers will present exclusive images and talk about their work.
- Preston has been a Carnegie staff member since 1968 and served as director of the Observatories from 1981 to 1986.
- Preston is director emeritus of the Carnegie Observatories.
- A team of astronomers including Ivelina Momcheva of the Carnegie Observatories has discovered the most distant cluster of galaxies ever found.
- Its high-tech infrared eyes observe galaxies, infant stars and newly forming planetary systems that have escaped the view of other observatories.
- But many galaxies were beyond the range of ground-based observatories.
- Professional astronomers will use many of Earth's most capable observatories to monitor the impacts.
- Both impacts were also monitored by Earth-based observatories and by orbital assets, such as the Hubble Space Telescope.
- JANTAR MANTAR - This is the largest and the best preserved of the five observatories built by Jai Singh II in different parts of the country.
- The list also includes a final year of operation for many observatories that are no longer in operation.
- While at Yerkes, Ridell built many instruments for other observatories at his home shop, including the 5-inch 'Moonwatch' telescopes.
- Ibn Yunus, who worked in these observatories, is considered one of the greatest astronomers of the Islamic World.
- Information > Science > Astronomy > Astronomers
- Information > Science > Astronomy > Telescopes
- Information > Science > Astronomy > Observatory
- Mauna Kea
- Science > Astronomy > Telescopes > Adaptive Optics
* Adaptive Optics
* Amateur Astronomers
* Chandra X-Ray Observatory
* Electromagnetic Spectrum
* Infrared Observatories
* Mauna Kea
* Sky Objects
* Small Telescope
* Tycho Brahe
Books about "Observatories" in