Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Otis Redding"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- Otis Redding stated many times that he considered Sam Cooke to be his "role model".
- In my opinion if Sam Cooke had lived we would have seen him perform at the Monterey Pop festival in 1967 and NOT Otis Redding.
- One night they were in town when Otis Redding (R) was in town preforming at The Apollo.
- Her next single, " Respect ", written and originally recorded by Otis Redding, firmly launched Franklin on the road to superstardom.
- Clyde is best known as the ORIGINAL FUNKY DRUMMER. His recording history includes Otis Redding and Prince.
- Instead of saluting Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, Al Green, or Otis Redding, he focuses on less familiar names, giving each their due.
- Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, and Al Green, all of whom are echoed here, are originals and innovators, and had better written songs to work with.
- The Get Down draws from a wealth of original material as well as interpretations of tunes by the likes of John Coltrane, Otis Redding, and Outkast.
- Influenced by Otis Redding and Laura Nyro, he was inspired to start a band in high school called Night Child with singer and guitarist Debra Walls.
- Payne comes across somewhere between Otis Redding and Al Green but definitely has his own style.
- Payne can sing aching soul ballads with the conviction of Otis Redding while at other times his gritty vocals bring to mind Wilson Pickett.
- Jenkins worked with Otis Redding in the early '60s and influenced Jimi Hendrix through his acrobatic style.
- The catalyst for many great soul stylists, from Sly Stone to Otis Redding, it also provided an early lesson in dynamics for the young Michael Jackson.
- In 1981, they re-recorded many hits along with Sam Cooke and Otis Redding covers for LPs titled "Soul Study Vol.
- If you've ever enjoyed records from Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Allman Bros., and the Beatles, then you will inevitably love the sounds of Davin McCoy.
- Mendes was known for doing covers: from the Beatles to Otis Redding to Joni Mitchell and beyond, he adapted his Brazilian styles to these tunes.
- The Beatles were in awe of Cropper's playing and his production on Otis Redding records.
- He was managing a lot of R&B acts like Otis Redding and wanted to have his own Memphis type recording conglomerate in Macon.
- He was, for a time, their best-selling artist, outselling such stars as Otis Redding and Sam & Dave.
- KEN, I totally agree that acts like the Rolling Stones, The Who, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin were all amazing talents and worthy of the R&R Hall.
- In addition to the explicit reference of the title, the song alludes to Otis Redding, Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello.
- But he was able to listen to secular soul music and funk and was particularly inspired by Bobby Womack, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding and Donny Hathaway.
- The group was discovered by Otis Redding, whom acted as their manager and the Epsilons later toured with until his death in 1967.
- But the label fell on dark days, and personal disasters such as the death of Otis Redding have added a great tragedy to the Stax story.
- Like Jaimoe, the drummer, used to play with Otis Redding and a lot of rhythm and blues band.
- The label had lost its largest star, Otis Redding, in a plane crash in December 1967.
- Mr. McFadden and John Whitehead formed a group called the Epsilons in their youth and toured with Otis Redding in the 1960's.
- I was the producer with Otis Redding and Eddie Floyd and somebody else had Carla Thomas and I think Al had the Mad Lads and Albert King.
- There he had the opportunity to play in the same venue as legends like Clarence Carter, Joe Tex, Eddie Floyd, Dee Clark, Solomon Burke, and Otis Redding.
- One of the greatest soul artists of all time, Solomon Burke appears here covering another, that being Otis Redding.
- He's a singer cut from the same classic soul cloth that cloaked Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding and Solomon Burke.
- A self-taught musician, he was hired in 1964 by Stax Records of Memphis as a backup pianist, working as a session musician for Otis Redding and others.
- And much of the time, the singer recalls an era in which Otis Redding, Al Green, Tyrone Davis, Eddie Floyd, and Stax Records reigned supreme.
- Their impeccable grooves can be heard on classic hits by Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Carla Thomas, Albert King, Sam & Dave and numerous others.
- In junior high and high school, I got into Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, and then Motown came out amid all that.
- If you like Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, BB king etc this will become your favorite LP in no time.
- Prior to 1970, Donna Jean Godchaux had worked as a back-up singer in Muscle Shoals, appearing on songs by Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding.
- I was listening to a lot of Otis Redding when I wrote that song, so hopefully some of that vibe comes through.
- Their debut album entitled simply "Three Dog Night" produced the hits "Nobody","Try A Little Tenderness" (a song originally sung by Otis Redding) and "One".
- Otis Redding liked the song so much that he covered it, killing any chance of Wright's version hitting.
- So, too, did Ray Charles and Otis Redding, although Blackwell was disappointed that few black artists ever had hits with his compositions.
- He has recorded with a who's who of artists, including Otis Redding, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan and Barbra Streisand.
- Buddy Guy's latest, Bring 'Em In, due September 20th, features the blues great's renditions of well-worn hits by artists from Bob Dylan to Otis Redding.
- They began as a favorite soul studio sessions group backing major artists at Stax Records, chosen in 1967 by Otis Redding to play as his touring backup band.
- Even better, they offer the sight of such artists as Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Booker T. & the MGs, and the Staple Singers in action.
- The museum stands on the site that was home to the record label that launched the careers of Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding and Booker T. and the MGs.
- Hayes got his start as a session musician and songwriter at soul mainstay Stax, the Memphis label that was home to Otis Redding and Booker T. & the MGs.
- I do take it as a compliment because some of my favorite singers are black: Stevie Wonder and Otis Redding, Terence Trent D' Arby, Donny Hathaway.
- His voice and music have been compared to Otis Redding, Prince and Sly & the Family Stone, among others.
- Her music is reminiscent of soul artists like Gladys Knight and Otis Redding.
- Born in Memphis, Tennessee, Whalum was deeply influenced by Otis Redding, Isaac Hayes and other Memphis soul maestros, as well as by gospel music.
- The group is the first newly signed artist to release an album on Stax, best known for hits by Isaac Hayes, Otis Redding and others.
- Download sample of Otis Redding 's "Mr. Pitiful", one of the most well-remembered songs from the soul singer.
- She also toured extensively, sharing bills with the likes of Ray Charles, Jackie Wilson, Otis Redding, and Curtis Mayfield.
- At his best, his style combined the urgency of Otis Redding with the simmering sexiness of Marvin Gaye and Al Green.
- His musical idols included the legendary voices of Ray Charles, Sam Cook, Otis Redding and Marvin Gaye, good company for a budding vocalist.
- I'm speaking of music by Otis Redding, James Brown and Booker T. and The MG's and plenty of Elvis.
- Ben E. King, Otis Redding, James Brown and Al Green tracks are all made over by the singer on his new record Soul.
- I started singing when I was about seven, and all my influences were soul singers: Otis Redding, James Brown, the Four Tops, the Temptations.
- You may not know his name, but the influential Hamp Swain helped launch the careers of James Brown, Little Richard and Otis Redding.
- Macon is where he helped Little Richard (also from Macon), Otis Redding (ALSO from Macon) and James Brown launch their careers.
- In my opinion his music from the sixties and early seventies is better than that of Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin or any other southern soul man or woman.
- By recording at FAME, Isbell follows a long list of dignitaries including Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, and Wilson Pickett.
- You can feel the influence of Etta James and Janis Joplin, the blues of Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, and the soul of Otis Redding and Aretha Franklin.
- John Legend has been called an heir apparent to the greats -- Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding -- and for once, the comparisons are worthy.
- Gary remembers a childhood heavily influenced by soul music: he grew up listening to greats like Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Percy Sledge, and Lenny Williams.
- A glance at the track list, which includes soul classics by Sam Cooke, Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, and Otis Redding, confirms the supposition.
- He began listening to R&B music and imitating the voices of yesterday's greats like Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wilson, and Otis Redding.
- As rich and varied as the artists who made it, the soul-and-funk movement produced such diverse stars as Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield and Otis Redding.
- Little Richard (who was the inspiration for Otis Redding), Fats Domino and James Brown originally called themselves rock and roll performers.
- Music > Composers > Songwriters > Sam Cooke
- Music > Gospel Music > Gospel Singers > Aretha Franklin
- Culture > Arts > Music > Little Richard
- Motown > Marvin Gaye
- Arts > Music > Musicians > James Brown
Books about "Otis Redding" in