Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Plateau"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- Plateau is also used to describe undersea geologic formations.
- The plateau is a storehouse of unique flora and fauna found nowhere else in the world -- especially its extraordinary high-altitude species.
- Wooded areas are confined to the northwest and northeast of the plateau.
- Winters on the plateau are especially severe.
- This reorganization allowed a new disparity plateau to be reached.
- Last updated on February 26, 2007 at 3:23pm My geographical term is plateau.
- Mexico City is located near the southern end of the plateau of Anáhuac, at an altitude of c.7,800 ft (2,380 m).
- Even on the Anatolian plateau temperatures can be punishing.
- The Anatolian Plateau is much more subject to extremes than are the coastal areas.
- There is a geographical diversity between the Anatolian littoral and the plateau.
- The Anatolian Plateau is the central part of Asia Minor, between the mountains of Pontos and Tavros, to the west of Armenian Plateau.
- Oyrat was the general name used for the Mongolians in Moxi (the area west of the vast deserts on the Mongolian Plateau) in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
- T-maen, a Turki leader, defeated the Rouran in 552, and set up a state centered in Mobei (the area north of the vast deserts on the Mongolian Plateau).
- On the edges of the Inner Mongolian plateau in the north, grasslands can be seen.
- The plateau corresponds to a specific structure of the morphospace (e.g., number of distinct morphological peaks).
- South of the Ethiopian Plateau are a number of towering volcanic peaks, including Mt.
- There is no boundary on the east, because the domes are part of the same surface as the Appalachian Plateau.
- The South African plateau as far as about 12- S, bounded east, west and south by bands of high ground which fall steeply to the coasts.
- The two largest basins on the plateau are the Konya Ovas-- and the basin occupied by the large salt lake, Tuz G--l--.
- Poopó salt lake, 965 sq mi (2,499 sq km), on the high plateau of W Bolivia.
- The Tubo were the ancestors of the Tibetans, rising to notice on the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau in the late sixth century.
- Qinghai-Tibet Plateau - Largest intermontane plateau in the world; covers 2.2 million square kilometers and averages 4,000 metres above sea level.
- It is a thickly forested plateau, very rocky and not very good for farming, which extends into northern France.
- The plateau extends southward into western West Virginia, eastern Kentucky and Tennessee, where it is instead called the Cumberland Plateau.
- The principal tributary is the Arun, which rises about 150 kilometers inside the Tibetan Plateau.
- Forests on the Tibetan Plateau are largely found in eastern and southeastern regions.
- The fauna of Ladakh have much in common with that of Central Asia in general and that of the Tibetan Plateau in particular.
- This chapter provides an overview of the biodiversity of the Tibetan Plateau.
- Under such conditions, the Tibetan Plateau has produced its own species diversity.
- The distribution of plant and animal species on the plateau is extremely uneven due to differences in topography and climate.
- Owing to folds, faults and erosion, the plateau is intersected with mountains, hills, basins and valleys, giving it a very rugged topography.
- At the fringes of the Northern Plateau are several mountainous regions.
- The Cyclades is a shallow structural elevation (plateau), comprising many mountainous islands.
- Low-lying coastal strips, with the exception of the Mediterranean coast and the Guinea coast, are generally narrow and rise sharply to the plateau.
- The African continent is characterized by plateau land, with a few distinct mountain ranges and a narrow coastal plain.
- Numerous low mountain ranges rise from the plateau, and the Hingol and Dasht rivers are among the largest streams.
- The plateau is flanked by two hilly coastal ranges, the Western Ghats and Eastern Ghats.
- Other prominent uplands are the Fouta Djallon (Futa Jallon), on the southwest, and the Adamawa Plateau and the Cameroon mountain range, on the south.
- Guyana is notably famous for Kaieteur Falls, which is situated on the Potaro River, where that river falls off the Pakaraima Plateau.
- Most of Iran is situated on the Iranian Plateau with the exception of the coast of the Caspian Sea and Khuzestan.
- Guernsey itself contains two main geographical regions, the Haut Pas, a high southern plateau, and the Bas Pas, a low-lying and sandy northern region.
- En termes g-ographiques stricts, le plateau arm-nien (ou les montagnes arm-niennes) ne correspond pas au plateau anatolien.
- It is a region of rolling hills and a broad plateau surface that extends into Syria.
- The term highland is used to denote any mountainous region or elevated mountainous plateau.
- This article is about two nested areas of Turkey, a plateau region within a peninsula.
- East of the plateau region are extensive alluvial plains, through which flow the Indus and its tributaries.
- One of the more notable geologic areas within the Allegheny Plateau is the Hocking Hills region of southeast Ohio.
- A highly eroded plateau is called a dissected plateau.
- Most broadly, it refers to the entire mountain range with its surrounding hills and the dissected plateau region.
- This elevated zone is often referred to as the Anatolian Plateau, although its relief is much more varied than this term suggests.
- In the glaciated Allegheny Plateau, relief may only reach one hundred feet or less.
- Such a plateau may be level or gently sloping but may be distinguished by the till caps on its hills.
- The plateau rises from the west bank of the Nile, sloping gradually upward to the Congo-Nile watershed.
- The Gangetic alluvial plain, which has much of India's arable land, lies between the Himalayas and the dissected plateau occupying most of peninsular India.
- The second geographical region, the central plateau, lies further inland.
- South of these ranges the Iranian plateau, which extends into Afghanistan, lies between 1,000 and 1,500 m.
- The Columbia River Plateau lies across parts of the states of Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.
- In the southwest lie the Cotswold Hills and the plateau regions of Exmoor and Dartmoor; in the southeast lie the Downs and in the south the Salisbury Plain.
- Possibly, too, before they issued from the vast Iranian plateau, they were not wholly unversed in the administration of wide territories.
- This is the most ancient term applied to the Iranian Plateau, and such a term has never been detected anywhere else in the world, e.g.
- Like other peoples of the Iranian plateau, the Manneans were subjected to an ever increasing Iranian (i.e., Indo-European) penetration.
- The plateau-like, semiarid highlands of Anatolia are considered the heartland of the country.
- The central and eastern plateau, with its drier continental climate, is home to deciduous forests and forest steppes.
- In Ohio and New York, some of the plateau has been glaciated, which has rounded off the sharp ridges, and filled the valleys to some extent.
- Intermontane plateau's are usually flat open highlands formed when land has been uplifted by tectonic activity.
- In short, "eastern Anatolia" or Anatolia eliminates the basic terms of Armenia, Western Armenia and Armenian Plateau.
- Encyclopedia of Keywords > Places > Earth > Geology
- Glossaries > Glossary of Geographical Term Stubs /
Books about "Plateau" in