Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Polygyny"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- Polygyny is the situation in which one man is either married to or involved in sexual relationships with a number of different women at one time.
- Polygyny, the state or practice of having several wives at the same time; marriage to several wives.
- Polygyny is the typical form of polygamy, while polyandry is rare.
- Polygyny is a common occurrence in Kurdish villages.
- Polygyny is a by-product of the tradition of emphasis on procreation and the continuity of the father's family name.
- Polygyny, permitted under Islamic law, is present amongst some Muslims in South Asia.
- His third wife was Dakku, whom he married while his second wife was still alive, as allowed by Sherpa custom (see polygyny).
- Female circumcision, polygyny, AIDS, reproductive choice, equal access to education, and other issues are discussed with candor.
- The traditional culture does not prohibit or explicitly encourage polygyny (except as a way to obtain male children).
- Although illegal, polygyny is a traditional practice revived in Kyrgyzstan.
- When males of a species are much larger than females, polygyny is usually practiced.
- Ashirov stated that polygyny is already widespread among Muslim communities of the country.
- POLYGYNY. A form of marriage in which a man may have more than one wife.
- Most societies permit Polygyny, in which a man could have multiple wives; even in such societies however, most men have only one.
- In Islam, polygyny is allowed, with the specific limitation that a man can have up to four wives at any one time.
- Muslim men are allowed to practise polygyny and can have more than one wife at the same time, up to a total of four.
- Patterns of occurrence At the same time, even within societies which allow polygyny, the actual practice of polygyny occurs relatively rarely.
- At the same time, even within societies which allow polygyny, the actual practice of polygyny occurs relatively rarely.
- The Chinese culture of Confucianism and thus the practice of polygyny spread from China to the areas that are now Korea and Japan.
- In Islam, polygamy is allowed for men (making it polygyny), with the specific limitation that they can only have up to four wives at any one time.
- Polygyny (or polygamy; having several wives at one time), however, has been a prerogative in many societies (see harem).
- Both polygamy and polygyny were practiced in ancient times among certain sections of Hindu society.
- The three mating systems that predominate among birds are polyandry, polygyny, and monogamy.
- Robert A. Heinlein was a science fiction writer who discussed polygyny, polyandry, group marriage, and line marriage in his works.
- Group marriage is sometimes called polygamy or even polygynandry, from a combination of the words polygyny and polyandry.
- Usually this has taken the form of polygyny (a man having several wives) but a very few societies have permitted polyandry (a woman having several husbands).
- It can take the form of a man having more than one wife concurrently (polygyny) or a woman having more than one husband concurrently (polyandry).
- Polygamy is the anthropological term, which can be either polygyny (one man having multiple wives) or polyandry (one woman having multiple husbands).
- Family > Marriage > Polygamy > Polyandry
- Society > Family > Marriage > Polygamy
- Society > Family > Marriage > Monogamy
- Actual Practice
Books about "Polygyny" in