Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Seismic"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- Seismic monitoring equipment has been moved from the town of Chaitén to a safer location on Talcán island.
- Volcanoes which exhibit significant seismic activity, such as Mount Cayley, appear to be most likely to erupt.
- Damaging earthquakes in northern California in 1992 and in Oregon in 1993, however, reveal the potential for significant seismic activity in this region.
- Seismic structure of the crust and uppermost mantle of North America and adjacent oceanic basins: a synthesis, Bull.
- Hirn, A., 2002. Réunion (Indian Ocean) oceanic island volcanism: seismic structure and heterogeneity of the upper lithosphere.
- In early and mid December, a number of small steam explosions were recorded by seismic instruments on the volcano.
- Concurrent with visual observations and gas data, a subtle increase in seismic activity was also detected beneath the volcano.
- PSVOs will also watch for marine mammals near the seismic vessel for at least 30 minutes prior to the start of airgun operations after an extended shut down.
- The continued operation of at least one airgun is intended to alert marine mammals to the presence of the seismic vessel in the area.
- The fault is only defined to a depth of about 5 to 7 kilometers in the seismic profiles.
- Most of the tectonic lines seen both on Santorini and on seismic profiles follow the general southwest-northeast trend.
- This comes after some confusion about whether an eruption occurred yesterday during a period of high seismic activity, and cloud cover of the volcano.
- The earthquake occurred along a tectonic boundary which is characterized by high seismic activity.
- High seismic activity prevails along the plate boundary to the east of northeastern Japan.
- October 31 – A major earthquake occurs in the New Madrid Seismic Zone, the last to date.
- Moderate seismicity following the seismic crisis ramped up after 27 October until the 24 November eruption.
- VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — A seismic shift in figure skating power hit the Vancouver Olympics.
- Seismic activity consists of harmonic tremor and surface earthquakes from gas exhalations.
- Some of the subjects, such as seismic structure of volcanoes (tomography) and eruption monitoring (seismicity), are therefore intentionally omitted.
- Seismic stratigraphy combines two very different scales of observation: the seismic and well-control.
- The systematic approach applied in seismic stratigraphy explains why many workers are using the principles to evaluate their seismic observations.
- More detailed information on responses of humpback whales to seismic pulses during studies in Australia can be found in Appendix A (a) of SIO's application.
- The fourth type of seismic zone occurs along the boundaries of continental plates.
- The eruption was preceded by a seismic event on 22 October at 1438, and by earthquakes on 19 October and 2 weeks earlier.
- On 18 February, after a "seismic event" that began at 1611, and which lasted only a few minutes, the summit inclinometers indicated strong inflation.
- Data regarding the strength, duration, and approximate direction of the seismic event were relayed to tracking stations on Earth.
- These seismic events, along with landslides, represent some of the most dangerous geologic hazards in the island and in the northeastern Caribbean.
- Table 2. Monthly summaries of phreatic explosions and seismic events (volcano-tectonic, long-period, and hybrid) at Guagua Pichincha, August 1998-April 1999.
- Seismic events caused by human activity are referred to by the term induced seismicity.
- Seismic activity was above background levels during 12-14 July and suggested that possible ash plumes rose to an altitude of 3.3 km (10,800 ft) a.s.l.
- After the Lunar expeditionary material was loaded on to the CSM the LEM separated and crashed into the Moon for seismic studies of the Moon's interior.
- Seismic studies have confirmed that Earth is layered both compositionally and mechanically (see illustration).
- This effect has only recently been established from seismic studies, Richards says, and many geophysicists remain skeptical.
- The seismic station at Puerto Ayora, on the nearby island of Santa Cruz, recorded no earthquakes associated with this eruption.
- In the island of La Palma, a seismic station is located at the center of the North-South active rift (Cumbre Vieja ridge).
- In February 2003 as part of an agreement with Nayarit Civil Defense a seismic station was installed in the SW flank of the volcano.
- Four nuclear powered seismic stations were installed during the Apollo project to collect seismic data about the interior of the Moon.
- Nearly continuous high-amplitude tremor was recorded at all seismic stations on the volcano.
- GNEM R&E researchers delivered calibration results for 20 seismic stations and arrays, two infrasound arrays, and six technical reports.
- This change from "dry" surface rock to "damp" rock below it increases electrical conductivity and slows seismic velocity, the researchers write.
- The Lehmann discontinuity, named after seismologist Inge Lehmann, is the discontinuity in seismic velocity near a depth of 220km, which is still debated.
- During 5-6 June no explosions or ash emissions were noted, and seismic energy remained stable.
- It is estimated that only 10 percent or less of an earthquake's total energy is radiated as seismic energy.
- Seismic tomography has helped outline subducted lithosphere in regions where there are no earthquakes.
- Using seismic tomography with earthquake waves, the interior of the Earth has been completely mapped to a resolution of several hundred kilometers.
- Seismic signals (tremor and volcano-tectonic earthquakes) had characteristics that indicated fluid movement within the volcano's conduits.
- A rich variety of seismic signals have been recorded at Redoubt throughout the eruption and in the preceding months of unrest.
- IG reported that seismic signals indicated an emission that day, but weather conditions prevented visual observations.
- According to an interpretation of seismic signals, ash plumes rose up to 15,000 m (49,200 ft) ASL.
- Diffraction of seismic waves provided the first clear-cut evidence for a lunar crust, mantle, and core analogous to those of the earth.
- Seismic waves are the waves of energy caused by the sudden breaking of rock within the earth or an explosion.
- Thermal anomalies also produce anomalies in the travel times of seismic waves.
- The integration of outcorp, core, well-log and seismic data affords the optimal approach to the application of sequence stratigraphy.
- Seismic waves are not limited to wells, and seismic data may contain useful information about reservoir properties between the wells.
- Seismic data can reveal the locations of the magma chambers beneath the volcano which feed activity.
- Surprisingly though, Palawan is relatively "quiet" in terms of seismic activity.
- In amplitude versus offset (AVO) analysis, these amplitude vectors may be easily defined at each point on the seismic section.
- This seismic section can be described in terms of two major depressions (north and south), separated by the Lombok High.
- Endangered Species Act Under section 7 of the ESA, the NSF has begun consultation on this proposed seismic survey.
- This huge ring of volcanic and seismic (earthquake) activity was noticed and described before the invention of the theory of plate tectonics theory.
- This invention relates to a method of predicting oil reservoir properties using seismic data and wellbore data.
- The New Madrid Seismic Zone, also known as the Reelfoot Rift or the New Madrid Fault Line, is a major seismic zone, located in the mideastern United States.
- The New Madrid fault system, or the New Madrid seismic zone, is a series of faults beneath the continental crust in a weak spot known as the Reelfoot Rift.
- The New Madrid Seismic Zone (NMSZ) lies directly above an ancient failed rift, the Reelfoot rift.
- Using newly gathered seismic data from 2005, researchers reconstructed the event to show the rift tore open along its entire 35-mile length in just days.
- Geologists have pointed out that the elevation of Kerala from the sea was the result of some seismic activity, either suddenly or gradually.
- At least twice (once in the Galapagos, and once in the Sea of Cortez) whale beachings have occurred coincidentally with seismic surveys.
- Not only seismic testing, but traffic at sea can disturb whales.
- The IG reported a lahar on Reventador's E flank, detected for 90 minutes by the seismic network on 25 May.
- This ambitious mission includes an orbiter, lander, and penetrators that will set up a seismic network on the Moon.
- Their work was dedicated to help discern fresh impacts on the Moon, or to search for sites of recent seismic activity in the lunar crust.
- There is direct seismic evidence for a crust on the Moon, and indirect evidence for distinct crusts on Mars and Venus.
- No eruption occurred, although fumarolic and seismic activity remained elevated and some other noteworthy changes also took place.
- Seismic activity at Pavlof remained elevated during 22-28 August.
- Seismic tremor levels remained elevated with a brief drops while lava levels rose.
- AVO continues to observe potential activity with seismic, satellite and radar data.
- AVO does not maintain seismic monitoring equipment on Atka Island, and relies on satellite and field observations for monitoring the status of Korovin.
- Visual, satellite, and seismic observations indicate that a lava dome is again forming in the summit crater.
- A steady increase in seismic activity points to a growing possibility of renewed rumblings by Karthala volcano, which last erupted in 1991.
- Between inflation, intrusion, and eruption episodes, volcanoes are likely to deflate or show no sign of seismic activity.
- Seismic activity did not indicate an eruption, and visual observations were not possible due to meteorological cloud in the area.
- Recent seismic studies indicated that the crust at the Mendocino Triple Junction was nearly twice as thick as that north and south of the area.
- French Polynesia is located in an area of high seismic activity.
- Four volcanoes within the belt appear related to seismic activity since 1975, including: Mount Meager, Mount Garibaldi and Mount Cayley.
- The Silverthrone Caldera is the only volcano within the belt that appears related to seismic activity since 1975.
- It is an island-arc structure of about 17,000 islands spread out along a belt of intense volcanic and seismic activity.
- The devastating 1985 Mexico City earthquake was caused by seismic activity in the Cocos Plate.
- The scientists analyzed 20 years of seismic data for southern Mexico, where the Cocos plate is slipping beneath the North American plate.
- Seismic activity at Galeras Volcano in southwestern Colombia is strongly suggesting an imminent eruption.
- Volanologists are on the lookout for more frequent ash puffs or further increases in seismic activity, indications of imminent eruption, he added.
- However, AVO reported that there were no indications from seismic data that a significantly larger eruption was imminent.
- Earth > Geology > Volcanoes > Volcano
- Encyclopedia of Keywords > Time > Events > Earthquakes
- Encyclopedia of Keywords > Nature > Phenomena > Explosions
* Active Volcanoes
* Alaska Volcano Observatory
* Ash Plumes
* Augustine Volcano
* Background Levels
* Frequent Earthquakes
* Magnetic Fields
* Marine Mammals
* Oceanic Crust
* Satellite Imagery
* Seismic Network
* Seismic Tremor
Books about "Seismic" in