Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Thelonius Monk"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- As he grew up, he found himself on stage with such disparate tutors as John Lee Hooker, Thelonius Monk, the Soul Stirrers, Steve Miller and Jimi Hendrix.
- Persichetti studied under masters and later taught another generation of noted musicians and composers, including Philip Glass and Thelonius Monk.
- John is also regularly involved with The Thelonius Monk Institute of Jazz and has taught at the Betty Carter Jazz Ahead program in Washington, D. C. in 2000.
- The three will be joined by critically acclaimed saxophonist Bobby Watson and musicians from the Thelonius Monk Institute of Jazz.
- Jazz attracted him in his early teens after attending NYC appearances by Jimmy Smith, Thelonius Monk and the Dave Brubeck Qrt.
- He pioneered the jazz style known as bebop, and was a major influence and contemporary of Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonius Monk.
- I had the pleasure of having played with Thelonius Monk once, Charlie Mingus once and Dizzy Gillespie once.
- Solo piano - traditional jazz classics by and about such greats as Thelonius Monk, Bill Evans, and Dave Brubeck.
- Songs by Billy Strayhorn, Thelonius Monk, Charles Mingus and Bill Evans are lovingly rendered, conjuring a raft of complex emotions.
- An expatriate for more than forty years, Griffin was a veteran of bands led by luminaries like Lionel Hampton, Joe Morris, Art Blakey, and Thelonius Monk.
- His playing has been compared to the likes of Chucho Valdez, Thelonius Monk, and Herbie Hancock.
- Many of the great Jazz pianists like Thelonius Monk or Herbie Hancock never specialized in trio music, others like McCoy Tyner failed miserably.
- His father, an amateur saxophonist, encouraged him to listen to vintage records by such figures as Powell, Art Tatum and Thelonius Monk.
- His style and technique ranges from the floridness of Art Tatum, the lyricism of Franz List and the quirky melodic darkness of Thelonius Monk.
- Art Davis is a bassist, best known for his work with jazz musicians including John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, and Thelonius Monk.
- Griffin played alongside such jazz legends as Thelonius Monk, Lionel Hampton, Art Blakey and John Coltrane over a career that spanned more than 50 years.
- Andrew Hill was born June 30, 1937 in Chicago and started playing jazz at age 13, copying the playing of Bud Powell, Thelonius Monk and Art Tatum.
- Jazz Legends
- Music > Musicians > Jazz Pianists > Art Tatum
- Musicians > Miles Davis > John Coltrane > Mccoy Tyner
- Music > Musicians > Jazz Pianists > Bud Powell
- Music > Musicians > Miles Davis > Herbie Hancock
Books about "Thelonius Monk" in