Review of Short Phrases and Links|
This Review contains major "Wayne Shorter"- related terms, short phrases and links grouped together in the form of Encyclopedia article.
- Wayne Shorter (born August 25, 1933) is an American jazz composer and saxophonist.
- Wayne Shorter is a veteran who has played with all the greats, and is regarded as one himself.
- Wayne Shorter is one of the most important composers of the post be-bop era and perhaps the greatest jazz composer alive.
- Wayne Shorter (photo above) is one of the great contemporary jazz composers.
- Wayne Shorter is one of the most unique and influential saxophonists and composers performing today.
- These days he plays with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock, as well as leading his own groups.
- From the days when the 60's Davis quartet came together to today, one of the most enduring figures in jazz has been Wayne Shorter.
- After a difficult start he met several musicians living in and around the city such as George Benson, Wayne Shorter, Kenny Barron, and Cassandra Wilson.
- Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter joined forces to launch Weather Report which was the longest lasting Fusion Group and perhaps the most successful.
- Josef Zawinul and Wayne Shorter joined forces to launch Weather Report which was the longest lasting Fusion Group and perhaps the most successful.
- He played with Miles Davis on Bitch's Brew and went on to found the fusion band Weather Report with Wayne Shorter.
- Spending 1956-58 in the Army, Walton was stationed first at Fort Dix, where he met tenor saxophonist Wayne Shorter, and later in Germany.
- Treinan said the groups will play a variety of jazz and blues tunes, including charts by Wayne Shorter and Duke Ellington.
- Another piece by Wayne Shorter, the abstract setting makes the piece sound like it could speed up at any second, but it remains a beautiful, slow piece.
- The piece is best known from the 1997 Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter duet album, 1 + 1.
- My mother would play the record, Native Dancer with Wayne Shorter and Milton Nascimento, almost every night to put me to sleep.
- He did a record which featured Wayne Shorter on some tracks.
- Herbie Hancock had this to say of Shorter's tenure in the group: "The master writer to me, in that group, was Wayne Shorter.
- That evening, Wayne Shorter heard the group and asked me to come to NY to record with him.
- In addition to his playing skill, Wayne Shorter is equally acclaimed as one of the most brilliant composers in jazz.
- In the spring of 2003 the Monk group made a recording featuring Terence Blanchard, Herbie Hancock, and Wayne Shorter.
- The next concert in the series will be the Wayne Shorter Quartet and the Terell Stafford Quartet on Friday, March 28, 2008 at 8pm in Verizon Hall.
- All compositions are composed by Wayne Shorter and mainly comprised of gentle, balladic ones.
- I must go back a little bit to about age 14, when I met a man who was responsible for getting people like Wayne Shorter and Walter Davis going.
- Best known as the founder of the band Weather Report, with Wayne Shorter, he currently heads the ensemble called the Zawinul Syndicate.
- The interviews with Alice Coltrane, Wayne Shorter and others are illuminating and show how influential Coltrane was for other musicians.
- There aren’t many rock guitarists who keep company with people such as Wayne Shorter, John McLaughlin, and John Lee Hooker.
- Other performers include jazz saxophonists Sonny Rollins and Wayne Shorter, best-selling trumpeter Chris Botti, and pianist and composer Herbie Hancock.
- Hancock is a member of the Japanese Buddhist movement, Soka Gakkai International, which also counts Tina Turner and Wayne Shorter among its members.
- Disc 7 has Wayne Shorter finally into the band, but it's the same tunes we've been hearing and again not startling in any way.
- Wayne Shorter replaced Coleman in 1964 for what came to be known as the trumpeter's second great quintet, stable for four years until early 1968.
- Shortly after this concert, Coleman was replaced by Wayne Shorter.
- He also played with most of the key jazz artists of the post-war period (Monk, Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Tony Williams, etc.
- Wayne Shorter and his quartet filled Carnegie Hall with abstruse harmonies and variable rhythms on Saturday.
- He told Wayne Shorter that he was trying to learn how to start in the middle of a sentence and move in both directions at the same time.
- Wayne Shorter has impressed me every time I've heard him play and usually when others play him as well.
- Happily for the company, Marsalis' group conception at that time was heavily influenced by the 1960s Davis band with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock.
- The music explores more open forms and while musicians hate comparisons, the music lies somewhere between Miles, Wayne Shorter and Dave Douglas.
- Davis finished his solo, carefully placed his horn on the piano and walked toward the bar as Wayne Shorter got into a soprano saxophone solo.
- By this point, Wayne Shorter was also doubling on soprano saxophone.
- Interestingly, Wayne Shorter sounded like a big influence at first, but a few hours later at the jam session, he was playing just like Charlie Parker.
- Bassist Reggie Workman played with Wayne Shorter and John Coltrane and has a very fluid way of playing the instrument.
- She worked closely with jazz greats including Wayne Shorter, Jaco Pastorius, Herbie Hancock, and on a 1979 record released after his death, Charles Mingus.
- I was just into the tenor saxophone, but my ears had always been open to Wayne Shorter and Coltrane.
- Pure joy. If you've not heard of Michael Brecker but like John Coltrane or Wayne Shorter, give this man a listen.
- Musicians had a field day with the title tack, which had powerful solos from Wayne Shorter and Steve Gadd.
- This is pretty much the original WR of Zawinul on keys, Wayne Shorter on saxes and Miroslav Vitous on bass.
- Herbie Hancock (piano, keyboards), Wayne Shorter (soprano sax), Sam & Dave (vocals) and other great members joined.
- That was no small accomplishment: it was also the blossoming time of John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins and Wayne Shorter.
- Bunny Brunel is a bassist who has played with various jazz notables including Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and numerous others.
- As a lyricist, he first put words to and recorded works by McCoy Tyner, Keith Jarrett, Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Brubeck and others.
- And the Blue Notes that had passed their expiration date, like the Cherry classics and most of Wayne Shorter and McCoy Tyner 's albums from the 60s.
- One of his memorable songs, "Joanna's Theme", would later be re-recorded in 1997 on his duet album with Wayne Shorter 1 + 1.
- One of his memorable songs, Joanna's Theme would later be re-recorded in 1997 on his Wayne Shorter duet album 1 + 1.
- Dave Douglas did a series of records where he did Booker Little, Wayne Shorter, maybe a few other guys.
- Miles Davis and Wayne Shorter in the 1960s quintet Wayne Shorter (born August 25, 1933) is an American jazz composer and saxophonist.
- Rosnes was soon tapped for a series of high-profile gigs with jazz masters such as Johnson, Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter, James Moody and others.
- Both Mason and Clark contributed drums to the Hancock's 1975's solo album Man-Child which featured 18 musicians including Stevie Wonder and Wayne Shorter.
- That influence is illustrated here by the works of Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Dave Holland.
- Performing infront of Blakey's explosive drumming is Wayne Shorter on tenor, Lee Morgan on trumpet, Bobby Timmons on piano, and Jymie Merritt on bass.
- But, I also have a great interest in Lee Morgan, particularly from his early days with Wayne Shorter and Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers.
- Most of the tracks were penned by Wayne Shorter or Lee Morgan and all feature high energy performances, especially by Wayne Shorter.
- Miles starts his second quintet-- Tony Williams on drums, Wayne Shorter on Sax, Herbie Hancock on keys, Ron Carter on bass.
- Zawinul invited Pastorius to join the band, where he played alongside Joe and Wayne Shorter until 1983.
- He played with trumpeter Maynard Ferguson, where he first met Wayne Shorter after Zawinul had an influence in hiring him.
- After recording a self-titled solo album, Zawinul left Adderley to form Weather Report with Wayne Shorter and Czech bassist Miroslav Vitous in November 1970.
- Music > Musicians > Miles Davis > Herbie Hancock
- Music > Musicians > Miles Davis > Tony Williams
- Jazz Messengers
- Music > Musicians > Miles Davis > John Coltrane
- Music > Musicians > Bandleaders > Art Blakey
* Art Blakey
* Freddie Hubbard
* Herbie Hancock
* Jazz Messengers
* Joe Zawinul
* John Coltrane
* Miles Davis
* Saxophonist Wayne Shorter
* Tenor Sax
* Tony Williams
* Weather Report
Books about "Wayne Shorter" in